President: Michal Peprník
Palacký University, Køížkovského 10, 771 47 Olomouc, Czech Republic
Phone: +420 68 563 3113 Fax: +420 68 563 3101
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Vice President: Alena Smiešková
Department of English and American Studies, University of Constantin the Philosopher, Štefánikova 67, 949 01 Nitra, Slovakia
Phone: +421 37 640 8455
Secretary: Šárka Bubíková
Department of English and American Studies, University of Pardubice, Studentská 95, 532 10 Pardubice 2, Czech Republic
Phone: +420 466 036 217
Treasurer: Roman Trušnik
Tomas Bata University in Zlín, Mostní 5139, 760 01 Zlín, Czech Republic
Phone: +420 576 032 329
- the 18th and the 19th international colloquiums of American Studies: The Rainbow of American Poetry (October 26–27, 2012), with Maureen N. McLane as the plenary speaker and the poet Kerry Shawn Keys as the special guest;
- America in Foreign Media (September 6–8, 2013) with M. Thomas Inge as the key-note speaker;
The two events were funded by the European Social Fund and from the State Budget of the Czech Republic, and by the U.S. Department of State Awards and supported by the Embassy of the U.S.A. in Prague.
- the international conference From Theory to Practice (2012, 2013), organized by Tomas Bata University in Zlín, in 2013 with keynote speakers Christiane Nord and Thomas A. Lorman;
- the 11th Cultural Studies conference -Location and Relocation in Literature and Cultural Studies (2012), held by the University of Pardubice;
- the conference Language, Literature and Culture in a Changing Transatlantic World (2012), hosted by the Institute of British and American Studies, University of Prešov
- the 5th Nitra Conference on Discourse Studies.
The members of the CSAAS have been instrumental in setting up research centers that are devoted to American Studies, at Palacký University in Olomouc (the ESF project Literature and Film without Borders: Dislocation and Relocation in the Pluralist Space, director Marcel Arbeit, with M. Thomas Inge as the senior foreign expert), and at Masaryk University in Brno the Center for North American Studies (director Jeffrey A. Vanderziel).
The CZAAS board members are also involved in organizing the Monday Forum lecture series by distinguished academic guests and writers, held at the Department of English and American Studies at Palacký University in Olomouc, now within the framework of the ESF research project.
In September 2013, a new CSAAS board was elected:
- President: Michal Peprník (Palacký University, Olomouc)
- Vice-President: Alena Smiešková (University of Constantine the Philosopher, Nitra)
- Secretary: Šárka Bubíková (University of Pardubice)
- Treasurer: Roman Trušník (Tomas Bata University in Zlín)
American studies papers in English are published in major Czech and Slovak scholarly peer-reviewed journals, such as the American and British Studies Annual, Ars Aeterna, Brno Studies in English, the Moravian Journal of Literature and Film, Litteraria Pragensia, Ostrava Journal of English Philology, as well as in other established publications, such as the Zlín Proceedings in Humanities book series of conference proceedings.
KOPECKÝ, Petr. The California Crucible: Literary Harbingers of Deep Ecology. 2nd edition (revised and updated). Saarbrücken: Lambert Academic Publishing, 2013. 196 pp. ISBN 978-3659332500.
Last Updated: Dec. 21, 2013